Friday, October 02, 2020

Grand Hotel (1932)

This is one of those classic Hollywood movies I had somehow not seen before.

It's an excellent ensemble piece, following five people, all staying at the Grand Hotel in Berlin, whose lives intertwine over the course of a couple days. Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, John and Lionel Barrymore, and Wallace Beery head the all-star cast. 

The hotel itself is the kind of place that could only exist in a Hollywood studio film of the '30s. It's hard to imagine a place so opulent in real life -- the sumptuous Art Deco interiors looming impossibly large above the characters, every single detail perfectly in place.

3 comments:

Cullen Gallagher said...

This reminds me that I, too, have somehow never seen this whole movie.

Matt Barry said...

This and DINNER AT EIGHT would make a great double feature. Of the two, I prefer DINNER AT EIGHT, with its witty humor.

Cullen Gallagher said...

DINNER is another that I've missed, somehow.